Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Cloud Bread, a waste of eggs and cheese.

Standard Cloud Bread

A few weeks ago I decided to make Flax Bread because I really wanted a 'grilled cheese' sandwich. The Flax Bread was a fail (it didn't rise, no enough liquid) but it tasted great. Still, someone suggested I look into cloud bread since it already contained cheese. So I looked into it and found a recipe online. It was burning away on my fridge for over a week. So today I decided to give it a try. I went out of my way and bought the eggs ($3), cheese ($2) and cream of tarter ($4) to make cloud bread. Well, it came out perfect. However, there is only one problem. I don't like it. LOL.

Cloud Bread does have a bread-like texture. But it was incredibly BLAND and between the subtle flavor notes and smell, it just crossed  me as a scrambled egg sponge. I'm going to eat them because I made them and spent the $9 for the ingredients. But I will not be making these again, at least not according to the recipe as it stands.

Cloud Wraps
Because the cloud bread was unimpressive, I took the rest of the batter and flattened it (by mixing it like crazy) and added flax-meal, herbs, salt and a ton of garlic. Then I poured the batter onto pans like a pancake and made these cloud wraps. Again, unimpressive. The only difference is these are flat and the aftertaste is of the herbs and garlic.

For less than 1 carb per piece, I guess there is no room for complaint. Wait, hell yes there is. Why bother making processed food if the end result is something you have to tolerate? No not me. I won't be making omelet sponge anymore. The flax bread made more sense to me at a couple active carbs per piece. And they tasted like living food. This stuff, I'm not even sure if it's biodegradable.

Sorry rain on the cloud bread parade. This low carber can do without. Back to the drawing board.

No comments:

Post a Comment